Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Queen

IMDB link: The Queen
Source: Cinema
Viewed: November 27, 2006

I was expecting a nice bio-pic about Queen Elizabeth the Second, about whom I know little, but I soon realized that this was as much about the Al Gore of queens, the queen to be who would never be, as it was about Elizabeth Regina II. I don't really understand why this was made. It could have just been imagined by the viewers, especially those with clear memories of certian events in 1997. The monarch is unfeeling - no wait, she's human! Wait, we all are! Yay! Helen Mirren's performance was very good, but I found myself constantly questioning the dialogue. It's all just supposition, is it not? It's all just historical fiction. I don't know why I didn't feel the same way about "Capote," but then, Truman Capote was a much more public figure than the queen is... I don't know, maybe I just need more time. - T

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with my colleauge across the aisle on this one. I liked it. It was a lot like a bio-pic, in fact. Especially when the biographer doesn't have access to the subject of the biography. I thought it was an interesting exploration of a moment in history, combining documented public aspects of Lady Diana's death with private actions and emotions that had to be interpolated to some extent. The movie wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it. - A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home