Monday, November 21, 2005

Pride & Prejudice

IMDB link: Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Source: cinema
Date viewed: November 12, 2005

To my surprise, I enjoyed this new version of an old favorite. Many of the characters were well played, especially Charles Bingley and Mr. Collins. Wickham was certainly a lot better looking, and more appealing than in the A&E version. The shortening was fairly well handled, although I did miss Mr. Hurst. There were a few liberties taken with the original, which modernized the dialogue and the story in a way I don't really consider necessary, but what am I to do on the occasion? I don't love the look of Keira Knightly, but I thought she acted the part well. Why they felt they had to dress her in sack-cloth every day, and have her lick her fingers so often at meal times I'll never know. - A

Very enjoyable. The characters are almost unanimously more beautiful than in the A&E version, (except, perhaps, for Bingley's sister) which is a good start, and they actually managed to create a Mr. Collins and a Mr. Bingley that were at least as good as the A&E versions. As for the lovely Keira Knightly licking her fingers, I direct you to a quote from another Jane Austen adaptation, Clueless, "anything that draws attention to the mouth is good." - T

1 Comments:

Blogger DWL said...

Keira has potential to become one of the great actresses. She's just a kid and already has quite a successful resume. I haven't seen this one yet, but we'll be seeing it next, I suspect.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home