Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sicko

IMDB: Sicko
Source: Cinema
Date viewed: July 18, 2007

David Denby argues (New Yorker, July 2, 2007) that Michael Moore's previous films have done so much to raise public awareness, that he has already made his latest film unnecessary. I ask this - does the U.S. have a government-sponsored health care system? No, it does not. Could this film have even the smallest impact toward establishing one? Yes. The defense rests. - T

I didn't really want to see this movie. I have long had in my mind the idea that health insurance companies are out there to make money for themselves rather than help you when something goes wrong - pretty much like all insurance agencies. This movie uses a parade of sad examples, manipulative as they are, to make that point quite clearly. One of the best points made, in my opinion, was that here in America many poor to middle class people are strangled by debt, or the possiblity of debt, which limits their ability to act freely. Although not what I'd call an enjoyable movie, it won me over by the end. - A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home