Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ratatouille

IMDB: Ratatouille
Source: Borrowed from the folks
Date viewed: February 20, 2008

There is a beautiful moment at the end of this film that recalls both Proust's A La Recherche du Temps Perdu and Welles's Citizen Kane, and it almost makes the whole thing worthwhile. Almost. Am I wrong for not loving it? Didn't rats, by the plague they carried, kill some 50 million people in the Middle Ages? And why do I have to accept a system of control based on hair pulling? A system so accurate that... oh, nevermind! I found myself digging for a reason that this film might have come to exist, and, aside from showing off the awesome power of today's computer animators, all I could come up with was the tired old "Follow your dreams," and for some reason, hearing a cricket singing about it is more palatable to me than seeing a rat enact it. - T

Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe my hygiene standards are too exacting (and by hygiene I mean entertainment), but I just couldn't get behind Little Chef. All right, so maybe it's an heart-warming allegory dressed up in fancy animation, that doesn't make it a great movie. - A

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi kids,
I've been off the commenting for a while but I feel I have to weigh in on this one. You do know that this was basically a cartoon right? Give the little rat a break. Was it any more unbelievable that 3 birds, a couple of mice (aka little rats) and a drunk fairy god-mother made Cinderella's gown in the time it takes to belt out Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo?
I liked the movie if only because I can now go about asking people if they want to see "little chef in my touque"
--Rob

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with this Robert person. It is a shame that the illusion of a gourmet rat was blown by an "unbelievable" control mechanism. This is classic specism. This site trashes all non-human entities that aren't obviously subservient or freakin cute. It is a travesty, crime, libel, slight, insult, slander and any other number of bad things that I am too tired to think of.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home