Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

IMDB link: Be Here to Love Me
Source: cinema
Date viewed: December 13, 2005

Interesting and thought-provoking, but not as clear on the details of the man's life as I would have liked, although I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point of the movie. Makes you think once again about the connection between genius, madness, and the impluse toward self destruction. - A

Finally, a film I can get behind. The saddest part of this film is that it reminds me that I had ten good years in which I could have seen the man perform live. Now all I've got is biopics and reissued albums on CD. But those are still pretty darn good. Anyone who doesn't like Townes' music is no friend of mine. - T

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Tom, I did see him perform live. It was at the Tin Angel on 2nd Street in Philadelphia sometime in 1997, I think. Katie and I and a friend of ours were part of a crowd of about 20 or 30 people in a small club that was maybe twice the size of Toad. His two sets lasted for about an hour and a half, covering lots of his big songs.
He was sitting in the place when we got there, talking to some fans. Either right then before the show, or at intermission, he came up to us and asked me how I was doing. We had a little chat, about what I can't really recall. As I remember, he seemed a bit out of it - or rather, maybe just kind of childlike, uninhibited about coming up to perfect strangers and chatting.
I had just started listening to his cds, and had learned that he was a sort of underground, songwriting legend, so the whole experience felt special. Thinking back on it now, it reminds me of when we saw Tom Paxton way back when at Holy Cross.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home