Friday, December 02, 2005

The Professional

IMDB link: The Professional
Source: Netflix
Date viewed: December 2, 2005

Another damn Luc Besson movie. (Both of those "Rivières Pourpres" movies and "The Transporter" were his as well.) The ham-fisted hand of the "director" bruises with its overly explanatory dialogue, the almost caricature-like reaction shots (although these were much worse in "Transporter"), and the overall lack of subtlety. That said, however, the main actors - Natalie Portman, Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and Danny Aiello - transcend the mediocrity of the script, and make this a film worth watching. - T

Natalie Portman is really good in this movie. I claim to love Reno, but after undergoing the recent barrage of Besson/Reno films, I'm no longer sure what I'm basing that on. Reno doesn't speak French in this one. - A

2 Comments:

Blogger DWL said...

This movie is at once disturbing and quite beautiful. Portman: one of the best 10-yr-old performances ever.

12:00 PM  
Blogger T and A said...

Yeah, I was too hard on this movie, I admit, but I was just so sick of the director. I agree about Portman. If you haven't seen "Beautiful Girls" put it on the queue immediately. The Professional really did have some good points. - T

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home