Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Barchester Chronicles

IMDB link: The Barchester Chronicles
Source: Netflix
Date viewed: February 8, 2007

Trollope was an interesting thinker. I've only been exposed to his writings through adaptations, but still, I am willing to say that I like him. As for this BBC miniseries, I quickly tired of Donald Pleasence's affectations and meek character, but the supporting cast, especially Alan Rickman, Susan Hampshire, Nigel Hawthorne, Angela Pleasence, and Geraldine McEwan, made the six or seven hours worthwhile. - T

I love Trollope. The Warden, the first of the Barchester books, is one of my favorites. The miniseries didn't do justice to the character of the warden, as far as I'm concerned, but I enjoyed many of the other characters and the language throughout. It was quite a surprise to see Rickman show up - and so young! His portrayal of Mr. Slope foreshadows Professor Snape, of the Harry Potter series. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes a British costume drama. - A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home